The waterworks were built in 1930 at the confluence of the Yarmuk and Jordan rivers, were part of a hydroelectric complex. The turbines supplied most of the Jordan Valley’s electricity and contributed significantly to its development. Pan of the dam was conquered by Jordan in the ‘War of Independence and remains in Jordanian hands to this day. The dam’s staff were taken prisoner and returned later. The waterworks are still a point of contention between Jordan and Israel. Each country claims the entire dam complex and surrounding territory as its own.