The Rambam centre known as the Maimonides Heritage Centre was founded in the fall of 2003 by Rabbi Yamin Levy and a group of business and professionals who share a vision of hope and prosperity for the city of Tiberias.
Much of the philanthropic work associated with MHC is social welfare and crisis management for the needy families especially the children of Tiberias. The spirit stems from a strong conviction that Maimonides’ legacy is not only relevant today but a compelling religious voice in man’s search for a spiritual community and personal equanimity.
In 2003, Rabbi Yamin Levy and a few friends visited the Tiberias. When they visited the tomb of the Rambam, some of the group were shock at the neglect. There was no information about Maimonides, no explication of his literary, medical, philosophical, cultural and religious contributions. The area was run down. During that visit to the the dream of the Maimonides Heritage Center was born. The vision of turning this place into a centre for study, education, tourism and inspiration was beginning to find expression. The dream was and continues to be the transform of the surrounding area of Maimonides’ grave and the entire city of Tiberias into a place befitting the legacy of the Rambam.
Since its inception a number of programs have been put in place. The programs include:
- Setton Family Hospitality Center Museum open to the public with multi-media and educational displays presenting the life and legacy of Maimonides.
- Daily Lunch program at the Takhkemoni School in Tiberias serving hundreds of school children their only hot meal of the day.
- Over 80 Food Baskets delivered on a weekly basis to needy families through out the city of Tiberias.
- Sherut Le’Umi Midrasha with 40 young women working throughout the city of Tiberias and studying at the MHC.
- Avot U’Banim Program where fathers and sons come to our center on a weekly basis for Torah Study, refreshments and prizes.
- Imahot U’Banot Program where Mother and Daughter come to the center on a weekly basis for Torah Study and prizes.
- Mo’Adonim, 5 after school clubs through out the city of Tiberias serving over 600 children weekly.
- Renovation of park and basketball courts in the city of Tiberias.
- Disseminating and make available the teachings and texts of Maimonides to the lay student through our website and lecture series.