The waterworks were built in 1930 at the confluence of the Yarmuk and Jordan rivers, were part of a hydroelectric complex. The turbines supplied most of the Jordan Valley’s electricity and contributed significantly to its development. Pan of the dam was conquered by Jordan in the ‘War of Independence and remains in Jordanian hands to this day.
In April 1948 the Gesher settlement withstood an attack by the Arab Legion. In May of that year it had also the face an Iraqi attack. Three old bridges are visible at the site, as well as an old British police station, historic railway tracks, and an old Khan (inn) from the Middle Ages. There is an audio visual reconstruction of the old Naharyim power plant complete with water, music.