The Jerusalem Botanical Gardens is an oasis of green in the heart of Jerusalem. Located in the neighborhood of Nayot in Jerusalem, on the southeastern edge of the Givat Ram campus of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. It serves as an education, learning and research center, holds a diverse collection of plants from around the world which are displayed geographically and is a destination for tourism, recreation and cultural events. At around 30 acres, the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens is the largest in Israel. There are over 6,000 species and varieties of plants from around the world – Israel’s largest collection of live plants – displayed in 6 phyto-geographical sections – Southern Africa, Europe, North America, Australia, South-East and Central Asia and the Mediterranean. The sections simulate the landscapes of these areas and so there is always something blooming at the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens.
The Jerusalem Botanical Gardens was originally planned to replace the National Botanic Garden of Israel on Mount Scopus which still exists as a separate entity. The garden is arranged in phytogeographic sections, featuring flora of various regions around the world. The Jerusalem Botanical Gardens opened to the public in 1985. The tropical conservatory opened in 1986 and the South Africa section was planted in 1989. The Hank Greenspan Entrance Plaza, Dvorsky Visitors’ Center and restaurant were built in 1990.
The National Botanic Garden of Israel was first sited on a plot of land purchased on Mount Scopus in 1926. Alexander Eig, chairman of the Botany Department of the Hebrew University planned the garden based on the flora of the Land of Israel from Mount Lebanon to the desert. Planting began in 1931. The botanical gardens on Mount Scopus were the first home of the Biblical Zoo.
In 1948, in the Israeli War of Independence, access to Mount Scopus and the university campus was cut off from the rest of Israel, and it was decided to create a new Botanical Garden near the Jewish National and University Library, on the new campus of the Hebrew University in Givat Ram in western Jerusalem. The new Botanical Garden, including a unique collection of Coniferae, was opened in 1954. In 1994, it separated from the Hebrew University, and has been managed by the Botanical Garden Association since 1996.
Sundays – Thursdays 9.00-17.00
Fridays and holiday eves 9.00-15.00
Saturdays and holidays 9.00-17.00
Sundays – Thursdays 9.00-19.00
Fridays and holiday eves 9.00-17.00
Saturday and holidays 9.00-18.00
(Hours may be changed for special events – please check this site).
Single adult ticket: NIS 35
Yerushalmi card holders: NIS 28
Concessions: NIS 20
Entry is free for children aged up to 18 who live in Jerusalem. Those aged up to 14 must be accompanied by an adult. In both cases, free entrance is conditional upon presentation of ID. Accompanying adults still need to pay.
For booking or details on group tours and activities please contact email@example.com or call 02-6794012 ext.2 / 0527593366
The Flower Train runs on advance booking only.
Guided tours are available for groups in Hebrew, Arabic, English, German and Russian. They must be booked in advance.