The church was built in the fourth century, destroyed in the seventh century by the Persians, rebuilt and destroyed again. Thepresent church was built in 1852 over ruins dating from the Crusader period. The foundations, visible on the eastside, were probably the base of a Crusader watch tower. The church’s left wing is dedicated to Peter, the centre is dedicated to the twelve apostles, and the far wing is dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The Greek Orthodox Church and monastery, including three houses of prayer and a wall of religious icons lie at the southern end of the promenade.