Daher el Omar‘s son Chulabi built the fortress in 1745. Two stories high, rectangular, with towers on each corner, it guarded Tiberias’ weak northern defences. Daher’s enemies attacked Tiberias several times but never breached the city walls.
On the east side under the upper row of windows, part of a menorah is carved on a grey stone, an example of secondary use of stones taken from ancient building sites in the city.
The citadel was restored by Rivka Ganun and her husband and it use to house an art gallery and a restaurant.