Beit Shemesh is located in the Jerusalem region at the start of the Judean Hills 30km west of Jerusalem. It was established in 1950 as a development town primarily for new immigrants.
Beit Shemesh is a thriving modern city. It was named after the Biblical Beth-shemesh mentioned in the book of Joshua (21,6) and the book of Samuel (6,12). Excavations near Beit Shemesh show the existence of a Hyksos and later a Canaanite town dating back to the 18th century BCE.